Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Ranch "Chicken Fried" Cube Steaks

There's just nothing like good ole comfort food!  You know the kind I'm talking about...floured and fried and loaded with calories.

I have always loved cube steak.  My Mama used to make the floured and fried kind and it was yummy in my tummy.  She called it "chicken fried" which still really doesn't make sense to me since there is no "chicken" in it...LOL.  I don't fry foods often so this is one of the things I miss.  Craving the kind my Mama used to make set me on the mission of finding an alternative recipe that might still taste close to hers but wasn't fried.

I found a couple of recipes but they weren't exactly what I was looking for, so I changed the ones I found up a little and came up with this.  It was yummy if I do say so myself.  Don't be fooled by the picture - you really can't make cube steak pretty! :)



Ranch "Chicken Fried" Cube Steaks

Ingredients:

  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/2 cup Panko Italian Style Bread Crumbs (I used Progresso)
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 cup ranch dressing
  • 4 cube steaks
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

  • Heat oven to 425°F
  • Spray 13x9 inch pan with the cooking spray 
  • In a shallow dish mix Bisquick, Panko, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt.
  • Pour ranch dressing in another shallow dish.
  • Coat cube steaks with ranch dressing, the coat cube steaks with Bisquick mixture, pressing in so coating sticks to cube steaks.
  • Place in 13x9 inch pan.
  • Drizzle with butter.
  • Bake uncovered for 30 minutes (or until steaks are done to your liking)
Serve with mashed potatoes or rice smothered with white pepper gravy and another side of your choice and you have a great meal!  I chose broccoli - figured I would be healthy with at least one of the foods.  =)

2 comments:

Christi said...

This steak was really good and crispy. We will make it again my husband and I loved it. I love that I didn't have to fry it in grease to make it crispy.

Melanie said...

So glad you liked it! Comfort good that's a little bit healthier. :)